Position: Children’s Counsellor
Job Type: 1 year contract, Part-time (21 hours/week),
Reports to: The Manager, Crisis Intervention & Counselling Services
Application deadline: September 3rd, 2021
Immigrant Women Services Ottawa (IWSO) is a community-based agency serving immigrant women. IWSO’s mandate is to:
- Empower immigrant and racialized women to participate in the elimination of all forms of abuse against women and their children.
- Provide culturally responsive services to facilitate immigrant women’s access to community and mainstream services.
- Deliver programs to assist immigrant women in their journey to attain their full potential. Position Summary
The Children’s Counselor is responsible for providing support to immigrant and racialized children who have witnessed violence.
- Respond to immigrant and racialized children who have been impacted by trauma, domestic violence, and /or family violence by providing needs assessment, crisis intervention, counselling, referral and advocacy. • Develop interventions to meet the needs of children impacted by witnessing/or experiencing violence. • Administer risk assessment tools and provide safety planning.
- Maintain accurate records and documentation of service.
- Facilitate children’s programs and women’s groups such as support groups/focus groups. • Make appropriate referrals to other community resources and IWSO partners.
- Participate in professional training activities, including intervention skills practice and demonstration. • Performs any other tasks related to the position as required.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Post-secondary education in Child Psychology and counselling.
- Minimum 2-years experience in working with immigrant women and their children who are survivors of violence.
- Experience and/or certification in play therapy and able to use a variety of play therapy modalities.
- Experience and training in complex trauma experienced by children 6-13.
- Experience working with immigrant and racialized children and their mothers.
- Knowledge of different types of abuse, domestic violence, war trauma, workplace violence, human trafficking, suicide prevention, trauma, community resources.
- Knowledge of issues affecting refugee, immigrant, and racialized women and children. • Demonstrated skills and experience in intake, needs assessment, crisis intervention, counseling, advocacy. • Experience in facilitating different groups, such as parenting workshops, focus groups. • Excellent interpersonal, verbal & written communication, and problem-solving skills. • Ability to work effectively in a stressful environment and with minimal supervision. • Proven ability to work within a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team.
- Police Record Check for Vulnerable Sector is required as part of the hiring process. • Experience in conducting training seminars/workshops will be an asset.
- Knowledge and experience of computer applications and database software.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is necessary, any additional languages are an asset.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and résumé by, September 3, 2021
Search Committee: Children’s Counsellor Position, Immigrant Women Services Ottawa; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
IWSO welcomes and encourages applications from members of equity seeking groups, including but not limited to, candidates who are racialized, indigenous, LGBTQ+, and people with disabilities. We thank you in advance for your interest. Only those candidates with the minimum qualifications will be contacted and considered for an interview.
Immigrant Women Services Ottawa
219 Argyle Avenue, Suite 400