Position: English Conversation Circle Facilitator
Job Type: Full time, (35 hours/week), July 2022–March 31, 2023
Reports to: The Manager, Settlement and Integration Services
Salary: $45,500 plus a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, RRSP and generous leave entitlements
Application deadline: June 30, 2022
Immigrant Women Services Ottawa (IWSO) is a community-based agency serving immigrant women. IWSO’s mandate is to:
- Empower immigrant and racialized women to participate in the elimination of all forms of abuse against women and their children.
- Provide culturally responsive services to facilitate immigrant women’s access to community and mainstream services.
- Deliver programs to assist immigrant women in their journey to attain their full potential.
The English Conversations Circle Facilitator prepares and facilitates informal English Conversation Circles for immigrant and newcomer women who are learning English as a second language.
- Prepare learning materials and handouts.
- Recruit students in collaboration with the Settlement & Integration Services Manager and counsellors to meet targets set by funders.
- Prepare lesson plans that are appropriate for adult women who are learning English as a second language.
- Promote a safe, effective, and empowering learning environment.
- Use professional discretion and judgment in managing learners in the classroom setting.
- Maintain accurate client attendance records.
- Develop promotional materials and flyers and a dissemination plan.
- Prepare relevant reports as required by the Settlement and Integration Services
- Manager or/and the Executive Director.
- Assist in the evaluation of the program.
- Participate in all staff meetings, IWSO professional development sessions, and external meetings as required.
- Participate in external activities such as information sessions, workshops, and community events.
- Contribute to the overall functioning of the agency and perform other duties as may be assigned by the Settlement and Integration Manager and/or the Executive Director.
- Post-secondary education and a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience.
- Familiar with the principles of adult learning.
- Ability to work with newcomers and diverse communities and understand the challenges faced by immigrant and racialized women.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (spoken/written), organizational, and problem- solving skills.
- Ability to assess priorities and assume responsibilities with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work in a diverse and multi-disciplinary environment.
- Previous experience in teaching ESL (English as a Second Language) would be an asset.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and résumé by, June 30, 2022,
6:00 pm to:
Search Committee: Position English Conversation Circle Facilitator, Immigrant Women Services
IWSO welcomes and encourages applications from members of equity-seeking groups, including but not limited to, candidates who are racialized, indigenous, LGBTQ+, and people with disabilities. We thank you in advance for your interest. Only those candidates with the minimum qualifications will be contacted and considered for an interview.
The successful candidate will be required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 or provide proof of exception under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Immigrant Women Services Ottawa
219 Argyle Avenue, Suite 400