- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup grated coconut
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Panela – brown sugars
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup sugar or to taste
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cinnamon powder to taste
- Place 1 cup of milk in a small bowl, add the cornstarch and stir to dissolve it, then set aside.
- Place the coconut milk and grated coconut in the blender and blend until smooth and set aside.
- Place the rest of the milk and cinnamon sticks in a medium pot and bring the mixture to boil over medium-low heat. When the milk is a little warm, but not boiling, add the coconut mixture.
- When the milk starts boiling, add the condensed milk, sugar and salt. Stir well with a wooden spoon. Add the milk and cornstarch mixture and continue stirring constantly.
- Add the vanilla extract. Reduce the heat to low and continue stirring until the Natilla thickens, about 10 to 20 minutes. Add the butter, stir and remove from the heat. Discard the cinnamon sticks. Ladle into a serving dish or individual custard cups. Sprinkle cinnamon powder on top and let it cool at room temperature for at least 2 hours. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Buñuelos are a traditional Colombian Christmas treat, but they are also popular year round for breakfast with hot chocolate or coffee.
- Vegetable oil for frying
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup yucca flour or tapioca starch
- 1 cup finely grated feta cheese
- ½ cup finely grated Queso fresco or fresh farmer cheese
- 2 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Place all the ingredients, except the oil in a medium bowl and mix well using your hands until soft dough is obtained.
- Form small balls using your hands.
- In a deep pot, heat the vegetable oil to 300°F (Warm, not very hot). Carefully drop the balls in the warm oil. Cover the pot and after about 3 to 4 minutes, turn the heat up and fry until golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Serve.
Immigrant Women Services Ottawa
219 Argyle Avenue, Suite 400