INTERNAL / EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Position: Transitional and Housing Support Worker (THSW)
Job Type: One year contract (21 hours /week)
Reports to: Manager, Crisis & Counselling Services
Application Deadline: May 25, 2021
Immigrant Women Services of Ottawa (IWSO) is a community-based agency serving immigrant women.
IWSO’s mandate is to:
- Empower immigrant and racialized women to participate in the elimination of all forms of abuse against women and their children
- Provide culturally responsive services to facilitate immigrant women’s access to community and mainstream services
- Deliver programs to assist immigrant women in their journey to attain their full potential.
The Transitional and Housing Support Worker is responsible for providing support and referral services to women who are survivors of domestic abuse. The THSW helps these women develop their transitional plans as they establish violence-free lives and assists in finding and maintaining affordable housing.
- Respond to requests for housing supports including housing applications and transfer for survivors of violence and children who witness violence
- Conduct an intake for all women accessing services (PCR)
- Assist women with the development of a transition plan that will ease their transition to a life free from violence including a safety plan
- Assist women survivors of violence in finding and maintaining housing
- Cultivate partnerships with various community professionals, agencies, and landlords
- Carry out assessments as and when necessary due to changing housing needs
- Follow up with clients at 6 and 12 months intervals
- Provide client accompaniments as necessary (e.g., to the Housing Registry)
- Complete all administrative aspects of the position
- Post-secondary education in social services
- Minimum 2 years experience in working with immigrant women survivors of violence for housing support
- Housing worker specific experience is a definite asset
- Knowledge of different types of abuse, domestic violence, war trauma, workplace violence, human trafficking, community centres and shelters.
- Knowledge of issues affecting refugee, immigrant and racialized women
- Knowledge of sexual assault and human trafficking
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal & written communication and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work effectively in a stressful environment and with minimal supervision
- Proven ability to work within a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team
- Police Record Check for Vulnerable Sector is required as part of the hiring process
- Experience in conducting training seminars/workshops will be an asset
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Knowledge and experience of computer applications and database software
- 2nd language is an asset.
- Must possess a reliable car and holds a G Driver’s License.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and résumé by May 25, 2021, 6:00pm to:
Search Committee: THSW Position , Immigrant Women Services of Ottawa; Email: email@example.com
IWSO welcomes and encourages applications from members of equity seeking groups, including but not limited to, candidates who are racialized, indigenous, LGBTQ+, and people with disabilities. We thank you in advance for your interest. Only those candidates with the minimum qualifications will be contacted and considered for an interview.